I thought it was time to try out more brands instead of sticking with my favourite Burda!
I started making version B, using a suiting weight crepe fabric. The pattern uses facings for the front edges but I decide to cut lining pieces instead. I was in a bit of a rush because I'd left it until the last minute to make myself something for a wedding I was going to. So I cut straight from the fabric, tbh I rarely cut a muslin for myself anyway!
Instead - if the only difference between printed sizes are in the side seam, then I cut the biggest size I think I'll need. ( in this case I needed a 12 at the waist and 8 everywhere else ) So I cut a 12 and used the dart positions for the size 8. I then tacked ( or basted! ) the entire front together before joining at the shoulders to the entire back.
I then pinned on an old zip at the center back - and then pinned the side seams together like so:
That way , once I tried it on, I could move the pins as needed. Pretty much as I thought - the waist was fine and then it was too big everywhere else. I held the front wrap with some pins and then moved the pins at either side until I had a good fit.
I didn't really like the way the skirt fell - so I tapered it in towards the knee ( I had also cut the skirt a little longer ) And I added a splash of colour to the side flounce:
Then, once I was happy with the fit, I un-picked the tacking stitches and marked any changes onto the wrong side using chalk . Here it is before I took out the tacking stitches:
It was a relief that the sizing according to the envelope was pretty much spot-on. Although I had measured the paper pattern just in case!